The Geratrics Department seeks to enhance the optimum level of health to all senior citizens in Grand Bahama and the surrounding cays.
A multidisciplinary team working together to promote and maintain a healthy aging population.
Guiding Principal/Core Values
The team seeks to provide quality, comprehensive service/care to all clients and significant others, regardless of race, socioeconomic status and religious beliefs in a therapeutic environment; and ensuring that the clients maintain dignity and independence.
- To maintain a sustainable Geriatrics programme.
- To ensure that health care providers are kept abreast of new information regarding elderly care.
- To educate clients and significant others of healthy lifestyles and the disease process.
- To provide quality preventative and curative care to/for the elderly persons.
- To create and maintain a safe environment conducive to the health of older persons.
- To provide prompt follow-up visits to clients upon discharge from hospital.
- To organize and participate in health seminars.
Scope of Services
- To conduct Geriatrics Clinics in all public health facilities, including the satellite clinics in Grand Bahama:
- West End Clinic: Every first Thursday in the month
- Eight Mile Rock Clinic: Every Friday
- Hawksbill Clinic: Every Monday
- High Rock Clinic: Every second Thursday in the month
- Pelican Point Clinic: Every first Tuesday in the month
- McLean’s Town Clinic: Every first Tuesday in the month
- Sweetings Cay Clinic: Every three months
- Grand Cay Clinic: Twice per year
- To conduct domiciliary visits to/in various elderly care facilities monthly or more frequent if needed.
- To conduct domiciliary visits in private homes as often as needed.
- To perform head-to-toe assessments on all new clients and subsequent assessments as needed.
- To assist the Doctor during his/her domiciliary visits.
- To draw bloods from home bound clients.
- To ensure that clients have medications refilled in a timely manner.
- To administer yearly influenza vaccines to all home bound clients.
- To educate clients and significant others regarding disease process.
- To refer clients to appropriate agencies for assistance.
- To perform hearing tests on clients needing referral to ENT Specialist.
- Assist with nursing care in other areas in the Grand Bahama Health Services.
- Prepare list of clients for Hurricane Special Needs Shelter.
- To ensure that Special Needs Shelter clients are transported to designated shelter in a timely and safe manner.